You are responsible for being prepared to do the ride you have selected.
- You must have sufficient fitness to complete the ride at the advertised pace.
- Ensure you are adequately fed and hydrated when you start the ride, and maintain your feeding and hydration during the ride.
You are responsible for having appropriate equipment to do the ride you have selected.
- Approved helmets are required at all times while you are on your bicycle.
- Ensure your bicycle is fully functional and equipped with brakes.
- If the ride will occur or may continue into dusk or dark, you must be equipped with a front headlight that is adequate for the speed of the ride, and a tail light, as per Florida Statute.
You are responsible for riding safely and appropriately.
- Obey all traffic laws applicable to bicyclists.
- Ride in a straight line while proceeding down the roadway.
- Maintain an adequate following distance behind the bicycle ahead of you, appropriate for the ride you are participating in (do not overlap wheels).
- Give a verbal warning before passing pedestrians or other cyclists, and before turning, changing lanes, or otherwise significantly altering course.
- When the ride is halted for repair, rest, or any other reason get well off of the roadway.
- Only use aero bars when at least five bike lengths behind the other riders.
- Ask riders who are not riding safely to conform to these safety rules.
- Per Florida Statute, no headpiece (phone, radio, etc . . . ) of any kind may be used while cycling.
- Do not attempt to answer your phone while riding in a group.
These rules have been implemented by the Board of Directors of the Club.
Gainesville Cycling Club Web Site